Thursday 11 November 2010

Post Crit

The feedback received from today's crit varied quite a lot with several different points being raised. I ended up taking the LCA Catalogue brief to it again, eventhough I haven't been working on it since the last crit, I did this because I wanted feedback on the design direction, which I would consider when revising this later on. Majority of the people felt that the direction was decent and fits the target audience. The information is clear and layout seems consistent, therefore I should just move on with the briefs. In response to this, I think that it's fair to say that I should move on to new briefs now, but as a potential portfolio piece, I did really want to get it completed to the professional standard that I had initially aimed for, therefore I'll plan to spend no more than a weekend on revising and getting it produced. I think the main issues would be to get the rest of the products drawn out and information all typed out properly. Printing wise, it'll be quite easy as it doesn't require any particular print method of special finishes.

As for the Leeds College of Art Newsletter, I had revised this since the crit and the feedback in general seemed quite positive. The stock choice was well received the the overall change in design direction seems to be working quite nicely. I consider this brief finished now but took it to the crit as I will be taking it for a final print soon so wanted to know if there 's any minor issues that needs attention.

For the most recent LEGO brief, I took a series of invite mock ups, a couple of exhibition booklets and several A2 printed event posters. As mentioned previously, I didn't really think the invites were worth working on as I didn't see the purpose of them anymore, however as a portfolio piece, everyone else said that it would be nice to see me develop it into a range, especially as I have developed some nice visuals on it already - so something to think about really. As for the posters, booklet and general design direction I didn't really get an obvious answer to which one works best, different groups picked different directions so I have concluded that I should experiment with either merging the two or try applying them to a range of different materials. Finally the booklet; there was a strong sense that every preferred the mock up that had inserts in them, but suggested that I should use colours that were relevant to the LEGO pieces instead; something that I have considered myself already so will put this into practice for the next mock ups.

In general the feedback received from the crit was quite positive with some constructive feedback and suggestions for me to continue working from. I feel that I'm working and doing work that I enjoy, but still struggling to round things off, which means that I'm falling behind with the project management side of things. From here, I'm aiming to complete the LEGO brief by Tuesday and make a start on 1 relatively big brief and a competition brief which I would dedicate a week to.

No comments:

Post a Comment