Thursday 4 November 2010

Progress Tutorial / Feedback

Progress Tutorial with Joe Gilmore and feedback with Graham Tansley

At this current state I have been working on 3 different briefs, all of different disciplines an time scales to work with including the LCA Catalogue, LCA Newsletter and more recently the LEGO brief. I took all these 3 projects to the tutorial as although I have developed them quite substantially, there were all at different stages, therefore I felt that any form of feedback on them would help inform my next step on what to do with them.

The LCA Catalogue was almost finished as initially I wanted this to be a single week brief, which unfortunately extended to a further week and I didn't even complete it. I was unsure of the design direction of it so decided to give it a break and revise it later on. Graham gave some positive feedback in terms of the design direction and felt that I should continue using the vector drawn images as it fits well with the design requirements and would be ideal for the target audience. He liked the general look and clinical result of the catalogue but as usual, picked out numerous minor errors and issues that I would need to revise if I was to develop it. One other main suggestion was that I should get feedback from the librarians and students around the college as they are ultimately the audience and people who would be using it. So from this, I will aim to spend a couple of day revising the catalogue, I did have an idea of changing the content to just pens instead which would just broaden the target audience and change the whole design of the catalogue itself, but this would take much longer to gather the information, and almost feel that I'd be starting completely from scratch again, therefore this decision will remain to be seen when I revise on this brief later on.

The newsletter has been printed out quite a few times on different stock, with several redesigns. In my mind, I had already finished this brief and wanted to move on, but wanted some feedback on the design and finished outcome from both Joe and Graham. I received some mixed feedback on this, The focus was obviously the layout, design direction and use of type, Graham actually hated the most recent development that I've been working on; his main points was that the overall layout and relationship between the images and the type wasn't very consistent and that the aesthetics was driving the design process too much. With Joe, he felt that the front and back cover didn't really flow through to the spreads inside, which I must admit seems quite evident when you notice the spreads more carefully. So from these feedback alone, I can't bare to leave this design, so have decided to spend a morning revising it and getting a final print out. Also, I'm still undecided about the stock choice and whether to combine 2 different stocks in into the newsletter.

Finally the LEGO brief, so far it's in a relatively early stage. The brief limits the time to 2 weeks on it and I'm 1 week behind schedule as I had dedicated my reading week to the dissertation instead. From what I had shown, Both Graham and Joe liked the design direction and concept that I was working with, but struggled a bit with the message that I was trying to communicate and felt that the design direction could be a bit stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment