Monday 22 November 2010

Development - Poster Side

Developing the visual direction of the poster side of the booklet.

Due to the vast amount of obscure dimsum dishes that often puts people off trying it in the first place, I wanted to dissect the information and deliver it in a more approachable and interesting manner. To achieve this, I felt that the first things to do was not to use images of the dishes for 2 main reasons; 1. because quite often it doesn't look very good at all, particularly in such a small format that I have decided on using, the images would just make the whole piece look way too busy while not actually doing the dishes any justice, and secondly because I wanted to focus on the ingredients and the methods of cooking more which makes dimsum so different to everything else, which images wouldn't really help describe. I decided to treat the dimsum dishes as information only and delivering the details about them in a easy to understand yet interesting way, therefore went for an infographics approach, distilling the information and delivering it an innovative yet functional way,

With these initial designs, I focused on using simple shapes to categorise the dishes to start with. Each shape represents a different format of cooking which includes: steaming, frying and roast/baking. As I developed and adjusted the layout more, I start incorporated a few more methods of categorising and delivering more detailed information about each dish. these include the lines inside, which represent how many pieces will be served with the 'X' representing a divide of 4 therefore 4 pieces etc. And finally to include the nutrition information, I started incorporated a few colours to represent the main ingredients used for each dish. I think the layout at the moment works quite well. They look interesting as a set while being quite easy to understand once a key has been embedded into the poster/booklet side of it.


I think the general design direction of this is going quite well so far; although the main concern at the moment is how well it works with the booklet side of it. At the moment they do seem quite separated, so I will have to develop both side of things to achieve a consistent outcome for this. I think there are many alterations that need to be made, mostly with the order of the information, hierarchy and the type treatments, I think I need to pay more attention to the detail of the type and the order of where they appear on the list. I also think that I need to add a few more finer details to it to make it more refined.

No comments:

Post a Comment