Monday 18 October 2010

Printed illustrations

Print out mocks of the illustrations and early development of the spreads to review how well they have turned out when printed. I wasn't entirely sure whether I should have continued with the illustrations; I wanted a clinical feel to the catalogue containing detailed specifications while also become functional for students of the college. One of the main issues I felt with the illustrations was that quite a lot of it seemed quite obvious, people know what a Pritt Stick looks like which pretty much eliminates the purpose of the illustrations. I felt that the balance between function and aesthetic is a key area to consider here as I didn't want the publication to simply develop into a book of images.

On the other hand, they did print out quite nicely on the black & white laser and the desired 80gsm stock, something that would be cheap to print on while being substantial enough to hold the details and be able to be binded together well. The details of the illustrations and the fine stroke weights really do add to the clinical feel of the catalogue and after printing, I feel more confident that I should simply keep the whole thing in black & white. The benefits of this would obviously be the cost for it aswell as fitting in well in context.



No comments:

Post a Comment