Thursday 28 October 2010

LCA Newsletter Development

Unfortunately my design for the Leeds College of Art Newsletter only made it to the 2nd round so didn't get picked to be used. Although it wasn't what they were looking for, I quite liked the concept that I had and felt that with a few adjustments it could be a worthy portfolio piece so decided to spend a day developing this and making a few improvements.

One of the issues that was raised during the crit on this was that it resembled my Thought Publication a bit, possibly due to the same stock and exactly the same size, I was aware of this when designing it but wasn't too concerned as it was intended for pitching at the time rather than portfolio. Right now, I'm thinking of changing the size of it, I want to keep the broadsheet format but maybe reducing the width of it to make it seem more academic. I also have a few ideas for the front cover that I'm intending to change now that it's not really a live brief anymore.

From my previous mockups, I had to consider the stock quite carefully due to the design requirements from the marketing team, I wanted it to look quite clinical and professional while still incorporating a tasteful design direction that would appeal to the 16+ target audience. I used newsprint to print the mock up out initially, which worked quite well. However as mentioned from my crit, people did say that it resembled the Thought Publication too much, therefore aswell as making a few adjustments to the size of the newsletter itself, I have decided to get it printed out on a white matte stock instead. I have also developed a black & white version which I intent to get printed onto a coloured stock which I think would improve the overall look and feel of the newsletter as a whole.


Test prints printed on standard 80 gsm stock in black & white. Just wanted a final check with the scale and type specifications before taking it to print for the final time.




No comments:

Post a Comment