Monday 18 October 2010

LCA Newsletter ideas / development

I aimed to spend no more than 2 days on this brief as it was relatively straight forward, so went straight into developing some initial ideas. The only requirement for the format was that it needed to be engaging and that it had to eventually fold down to no bigger than A4 if it was to be bigger than A4 in the 1st place. We were limited to 2 colours and the target audience were prospective students and art & design lecturers.

My idea for the newsletter was to make it like an actual newsletter, this would allow me to experiment with more layouts and to test my type skills on a live brief. Therefore I decided that the format was to have a slightly smaller than A2 sheet of paper folded in half to produce a front & back cover and a full spread inside for the content. This idea would mean that I can make the outcome quite professional, I experimented with different grid systems and design directions to come up with a well considered structure and format that could run across a range of different applications.

In terms of the design direction of the newsletter, I chose to use a Pantone Blue for the main colour, I wanted the newsletter to resemble a blue print to imply that it's more personal and open for alterations and additional content, which hopefully connotes that the college is constantly developing with new talent and new work. One of the other requirements of the brief was that we were to make the logo quite prominent in the design, I noticed quite a few people had arranged it to the side or on the corner of a page, which would have been my initial plan aswell, but I decided that it would probably be best to make it the main focal point of the front cover, therefore played around with different alterations to develop it into an emblem like logo, which introduces the 45 degrees lines that run across the overall layout.

1 comment:

  1. Pages 1 and 3 of your issuu document show some really nice experimental and innovative layouts. Why have you decided to go in a more safe direction? The diamond patter is visually amazing to look at!

    Liam

    ReplyDelete