Monday 24 May 2010

Website development 01://

First visual development of the proposed website. I won't actually be creating this website, but planning on developing the design direction and how it will function.After looking at existing websites of both paid and free publications and projects, I got a rough idea of how common websites of this use are designed. Similar to books and editorial design, websites are often designed with some form of a grid in mind to help separate out the information, whether it's text or images. The main emphasis of the website is to promote Thought Publications through an online presence, while using it as a platform to provide detailed information about the project, distributions locations, back issues and information for future issues. With this in mind, I've kept the layout quite simple, working on an 8 column grid to help divide up the different parts of the information.

My initial plan was to use the same typefaces as I did with the printed publication, but taken into consideration that it will be read on screen and mobile devices, I needed to increase point size immediately. My first development of this, was based on a newsletter format, with the title and main links at the top, and 3 columns of text following below. Although I've used an 8 column grid, I decided to utilise 2 of them to create some white space of both sides of the site, I didn't want to have 4 blocks of text as this would be too crowded, stretching the columns was also result to it being too much to read so the white space would intended to free up and offer a more relaxed look to the site.

In terms of colour, I've kept it quite simple, only using black and a few Pantone colours taken from the set of publications. For a first development, I'm quite pleased with this, although I am aware that there are plenty of things I could improve on, from here I think I'll just need to explore with a range of layouts first before deciding on a final one.

No comments:

Post a Comment