Tuesday 24 November 2009

Evaluation://

Choosing to work on the theme of ninjas for this brief made the research process quite difficult to begin with as the amount of secondary research looking into the history behind the subject was quite limited. I wanted to keep the work quite fun, and because I was initially struggling with gathering strong appropriate research to help inform my ideas, I decided to look into gathering some primary research instead; looking at what people's ideas and thoughts are about the subject, this was later used as a basis for my research. I felt that this brief has been one of my strongest in terms of time management, constantly reflecting on my research to inform my ideas. I feel that I was able to categorize and order the gathered information to successfully resolve the problem.

Although I did look into various different production media, processes and technologies, I didn't want to force them onto my design. I tried out different production methods but due to the nature of my concept and design, I kept with a few methods like embossing and laser cutting which was more appropriate to my ideas. I found that as a whole I have learnt the most in this module, I feel that I've been open up to a new depth of design for production that I had barely considered before. Although I didn't practice / experiment that much on the different print processes, I do feel a lot more informed, and I strongly believe that this knowledge will stay with me and will have a strong influence to my work in the future.

This module had me thinking about every single detail of my design. Before I was mainly focused on the visual elements of my work, the use of stock, pricing considerations and print processes were often an afterthought. The module has taught me how the print production process can have such a massive impact on my work, and due to that I feel that the quality of my development and general work throughout the whole project seems a lot more considered than before. My in particular is quite minimal but the quality I feel is quite accurate to how I wanted it due to the print processes used.

Again, I feel that this is one of my strongest module so far. Might be to do with the idea of being a 2nd year, but I seem a lot more focused for once and my time in college seems to be more productive as a whole. As a result to this, my work seems a lot more organised which reflects my developmental progress throughout the module, I have constantly documented and ordered my work for the first time, and have kept records of my design progress and action plans which has effectively helped shape my development of the brief.

I feel that my final product reflects the vast amount of research and development that I have worked on throughout. The quality of my catalogue and my packaging seems to demonstrate my designs quite accurately. The only issue was that I could have spent more time exploring different materials and formats for the packaging itself. As the product's content is dependent on the research I've gathered, I ended up spending too much time on the product rather than the packaging. As whole I am rather pleased with the final product, but there are obviously areas that I could have improved and paid more attention to.

Things that I could improve on

1 / Time management - I was quite organised with the 'What is good' brief, keeping weekly action plans and constantly blogging my progress, however I did admittedly spent more time on what brief over the 16 page booklet. For future modules, I should also keep action plans on the different briefs and split the time between different briefs.

2 / Could have practically experimented with more print processes.

3 / Invest in some better stock maybe. Although I'm quite pleased with what I used for my final, I do regret not having looked into other options.

4 / Made more mock ups and practically tested my ideas - move away from design sheets more often.



No comments:

Post a Comment