Friday 23 April 2010

Design Practice 02 Part 02://

Choosing the 5 briefs as a starting point to my design practice. After running through the 50+ briefs from the past ISTD, D&AD, YCN and other briefs written by Fred and Lorenzo, I am left with a selection of the top 5 most interesting ones that appeal to me the most. Each of these have different reasons for being on my top 5, whether it is the subject matter, format or potential outcomes that they are suggesting.

My initial top 5 briefs were://
10 Things You Should Know About...- ISTD
Environment | Typography | Environment - ISTD
100 - ISTD
Three Minutes - ISTD
National Portrait Gallery - YCN


I then eliminated 2 more leaving the final 3 which reflected the areas of graphic design that I'm currently interested in the most://


10 Things You Should Know About...
A very research & data lead brief from my first impressions; something that I'm rather interested in at the moment as it poses an opportunity for a data/infographics heavy resolution. However I shouldn't really think about resolutions so quickly, so taking the brief apart into smaller elements, the brief specifies that the solution(s) will need to be published either through print or digital. The subject matter is quite open, so there's still plenty of space to experiment with and for me to decide on myself. In general, I really like the sound of the brief as it is; it's typography lead which is what I'm looking for, the target audience is quite vague, so I will need to clarify this if I do choose to work on this as a starting point. The overall impression I get is that it's a very open brief, with an aim to inform and enthuse it's users. I like the idea of informing about a very specific subject matter, but I would look into refining the target audience and the purpose of the publication. There are definitely areas that I like, but also parts that I''ll be looking to merge with attributes of another brief.

Environment | Typography | Environment
Initially another type focused brief by ISTD 2009. "Your aim is to create a typographic information piece(s) based on your observations and research" around the theme of whether the environment creates typography or the other way round. I chose this brief for several reasons, one of them being the fact that it's typography lead in terms of both the design and the subject matter, while the choice of solution format is kept open. Another main point is that the target audience will be aimed at designers, architects and students who also love design and typography, something that I haven't really considered properly previous to this. I think with this target audience and the subject matter, the brief opens up into an opportunity that allows me to look into something that I would be interested in myself; typography. This could be both a good and bad thing I guess. But in general, I'm liking the sound of this brief, both the subject and the brief's challenges interest me, there will be areas that I would consider altering when rewriting my own brief but I definitely like the structure of the brief itself.

100
Quite similar to the '10 things you should know about brief' and the 'Book of 100' from first year, the brief simply challenges you to interpret the number 100, but this time without any restriction to the design direction and resolution format. The general idea of the brief is pretty straightforward and open to individual interpretations, in terms of the subject matter, target audience, purpose and form of distribution, the only requirement is it's relevance to the number 100. My main interest in this brief is the fact that it's very open to how I want to develop it and could potentially be a very data and research heavy project, which is what I think often makes the contents interesting. Feeding on from the notion of 100, I think I'd intent change the number significantly to something else, which relates to the '10 things you should know about brief'. I like the idea of informing, educating and instructing the audience of this very specific subject, which would work well with elements of the other 2 briefs.

First session://
Worksheets on establishing what I want to do and what the briefs are asking; an ongoing development to identify our design direction and what brief(s) to choose to rewrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment